Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Stuck

The problem with writing something about every single film I watch is that I just don't have the time to give every film the lengthy and thoughtful write-ups they may deserve. Some films that I really like end up getting the short end, like The Eclipse, when I'm feeling tired or busy. Then there are films, regardless of whether I like them or not, that I just don't feel inspired to write much about.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man is one of those uninspiring films. It's about a man who hits a "metal fetishist" with his car and is subsequently haunted by him when the fetishist starts a slow transformation of the man into scrap metal. That's pretty much it for story. It's certainly visually interesting and unique, and it was probably made for almost nothing, but it is the epitome of "Fucked up shit". People that say they like "fucked up shit" would like this movie. The kind of fucked up that is only surface weird. On some level it does present a disturbing perspective of a post-industrial society, but I thought it was only effective in the first 10 minutes or so of the film. Give me "Fucked up", but make it affect me psychologically, make it something I'm still thinking about later.

The man's penis becomes a huge power drill bit. I mean seriously. Oh yeah, directed by Shinya Tsukamoto and released in 1989. 1992 in the U.S. 4.0/10



No comments:

Post a Comment