Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Back

After suffering a string of devastating blows such as a broken lap top, a terrible slump in my movie watching, and then a bout of crippling laziness, I am finally back to this land of blog.

So I'm going to try something new. I'll be writing a little something about every movie I watch. Whether it be something new in the theater, or my favorite movie I've seen a million times, I'll write at least something. Cuz I feel like it.

I'll start with what I watched last night: Black Dynamite (Scott Sanders, 2009)

A magnificently hilarious movie from opening to closing frames. I watched this late at night, in the dark, by myself, and yet still could not contain my constant bursts of laughter. I know the spoofing of B-movies is nothing remotely new, but Black Dynamite hits every note so perfectly. Even the easy moments such as when a boom mic slowly creeps into the shot work much better than they should. The filmmakers really go above and beyond just spoofing a blaxsploitation film here. An absurdly over long scene where Black Dynamite and his gang figure out what the villains are planning by tracing similar sounding words, acronyms, and Greek mythology to end up at the word Kansas is particularly inspired.

The dvd featured a trailer for for Blood and Bone a serious movie also starring Michael Jai White that looks like it is exactly what Black Dynamite was spoofing. Drunk viewing, anybody?



And so writing just happened. That's what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment