Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lisa, you are tearing me apart!!!

Last night I finished quite an entertaining 24 hours.

It all started with some late night Direct-to-DVD, Dolph Lundgren helmed action in the form of last year's Command Performance. Dolph Lundgren stars as Drummer Joe. I think that's all that matters. He's in a band, terrorists show up, and he saves the day. The story doesn't work too hard to make sense, which is fine, since it clearly is unimportant. I had fun, but I don't recommend it. 4.0


Shit got awesome later with Bong Joon-ho's latest Mother. It must be said. Joon-ho is flat out a fucking master of his film game. He is three for fucking three in my book, with previous films The Host and Memories of Murder (his segment in the compilation film Tokyo! is good also, best of the bunch in fact). His movies are all long, and they all waste absolutely zero seconds, frames, and even lines of dialogue. His stories always pay off in big ways due in part to this attention to detail and a narrative totally without any fat. He masterfully weaves extremely complex narratives while never straying away from the emotional centers that make stories truly great.

So Mother is about a mother obsessed with finding the man who framed her mentally handicapped so for murder. Plot-wise, it's much closer to Memories of Murder intense crime procedural, but its obsessions with family and familial love reminded me at times of his monster/horror film The Host. This film also boasts another powerhouse female lead performance in Kim Hye-ja as Mother. 9.6



And how did I cap this 24 hour period off? The best way possible: The Room.

Wow holy fuck me, right? The Room and its director/writer/producer/star Tommy Wiseau have been written to hell, so I won't bother with doing it myself. Hilarious reviews are everywhere. I'll just keep it quick. It lives up to the hype. I want to give it a number rating, but Tommy has engineered his film to defy all grading systems, as well as logic and time continuity.



No comments:

Post a Comment